Back in my college days, I took a theatre costuming class. For the final you had two choices: Create a life-size costume with a model or create a small miniature model using a doll of some sort. Thinking I would save time and fabric I opted to create my King Lear inspired Renaissance Era dress in miniature. It was a horrible, horrible mistake. Seam allowances were so slight that hemming sheer fabric and satin with 1/8″ allowances resulted in several attempts that were thrown away because by the time I managed to get them right, the fabric had started to disintegrate and unravel. I suddenly had a new appreciation for the cost of doll clothes and vowed to never make a dress for a doll again.
Fast forward to the more recent past, I was browsing my local JoAnn Fabrics store looking for costume ideas for Halloween. I stumbled upon a sale for a doll pattern at $0.99, and at that price I couldn’t pass it up. I have my not so little 19 month Chickpea who is loving baby dolls right now, but unfortunately, the dress she came with has gotten filthy and sneaking away a much-loved doll resulted in more drama than I expected. So when I saw that pattern for a whole set of doll clothes the faded memory of college was pushed away as my Mommy of a Toddler urge screamed “Make all the doll clothes!!!”
This pattern wasn’t terribly difficult. The good people at McCall’s designed it with nice big seam allowances of 1/4″ so it did allow for a bit more ease of sewing. The bodice did give me a tiny bit of trouble as you have to sew it together, attach the lining, and then flip it right-side out through narrow 1/2″ shoulders. But all in all it worked up extremely quickly in just about 2 hours on a Saturday. I will be making more of the different sets of clothing in the future as the fabric requirements are perfect for stash busting remnants and odds and ends from larger projects.