IMAG1165Back in my college days, I took a theatre costuming class. For the final you had two choices: Create a life-size costume with a model or create a small miniature model using a doll of some sort. Thinking I would save time and fabric I opted to create my King Lear inspired Renaissance Era dress in miniature. It was a horrible, horrible mistake. Seam allowances were so slight that hemming sheer fabric and satin with 1/8″ allowances resulted in several attempts that were thrown away because by the time I managed to get them right, the fabric had started to disintegrate and unravel. I suddenly had a new appreciation for the cost of doll clothes and vowed to never make a dress for a doll again.

Fast forward to the more recent past, I was browsing my local JoAnn Fabrics store looking for costume ideas for Halloween. I stumbled upon a sale for a doll pattern at $0.99, and at that price I couldn’t pass it up. I have my not so little 19 month Chickpea who is loving baby dolls right now, but unfortunately, the dress she came with has gotten filthy and sneaking away a much-loved doll  resulted in more drama than I expected. So when I saw that pattern for a whole set of doll clothes the faded memory of college was pushed away as my Mommy of a Toddler urge screamed “Make all the doll clothes!!!”

This pattern wasn’t terribly difficult. The good people at McCall’s designed it with nice big seam allowances of 1/4″ so it did allow for a bit more ease of sewing. The bodice did give me a tiny bit of trouble as you have to sew it together, attach the lining, and then flip it right-side out through narrow 1/2″ shoulders. But all in all it worked up extremely quickly in just about 2 hours on a Saturday. I will be making more of the different sets of clothing in the future as the fabric requirements are perfect for stash busting remnants and odds and ends from larger projects.

Advertisements